Assault is a violent crime. So, while facing assault charges, people may immediately assume that you’re a violent person. This could affect your relationships, employment opportunities, and plans. You don’t have to show up in court alone, only to be convicted. You can connect with a Richmond assault defense lawyer from Blass Law.
Attorney Jay Cohen has a reputation for winning even the most hopeless-seeming cases. He tirelessly advocates for people in situations like yours. Even if you have a criminal record, you shouldn’t settle. When we take your case, we plan to win it.
Why Choose Jay Cohen as Your Richmond Assault Defense Lawyer?
At Blass Law, we defend people who face criminal charges. We understand that you have a lot to lose if convicted of assault. Because of this, we want to help you avoid a conviction whenever possible. To preserve your freedom, we:
- Advise you on how to handle interrogations
- Ensure law enforcement follows proper protocol
- Explain if you should take a plea deal
- Represent you through all hearings
- Seek a “not guilty” verdict
- Build a strong defense
- Represent you at trial
A criminal conviction can affect your future in profound ways. You may know this all too well already. We aim to mitigate the effects of assault charges on your life. We hope that at the conclusion of your case, you can walk away with your freedom.
We Have Helped Many Past Clients Get Their Assault Charges Dismissed
Whether your trial date is approaching or you were just arrested, we encourage you to partner with our Richmond assault defense team. Attorney Jay Cohen can evaluate your case from multiple angles to craft a customized defense strategy. What’s more, he’s won countless cases.
Here are some of our success stories:
- Our client received a felony assault charge after they allegedly grabbed a family member by the neck and choked them. Then, they allegedly threw them to the ground. We got our client’s charges dismissed.
- Our client allegedly assaulted a child and received a felony charge. This case went to trial, and we helped our client receive a “not guilty” verdict.
What do these cases mean for you? Blass Law knows how to build a strong defense. With comprehensive legal help, you can avoid a conviction and move on with your life.
For a legal consultation with a assault defense lawyer serving Richmond, call 713-225-1900
How Texas Law Defines Criminal Assault
If the state charged you with assault, under Texas Penal Code § 22.01, that means you allegedly did one or more of the following:
- Recklessly, intentionally, and knowingly caused bodily injury to another person
- Knowingly and intentionally threatened someone with imminent bodily injury
- Knowingly and intentionally caused physical contact that a reasonable person would find offensive or provocative
Penalties You Could Face After an Assault Conviction in Richmond, TX
The penalties you face depend on your situation. Generally, someone who verbally threatened another person’s safety faces less severe charges than someone who put a spouse in the hospital.
Punishments you could face if you get convicted of assault range from:
- Fines from $500 to $10,000
- 180 days to life in prison
Serving any amount of jail time can negatively impact your career, personal relationships, and future. Because of this, you should consider securing legal help from a Richmond family member assault lawyer from Blass Law as soon as possible.
Richmond Assault Defense Attorney 713-225-1900
You Could Face Consequences Outside of the Legal System if Convicted
At Blass Law, we’re committed to Keeping Innocent People Innocent®. Why? Because we’ve seen firsthand how even a seemingly small conviction can have big consequences. If you choose to forgo legal aid and end up getting convicted, you could experience these long-term consequences:
- Problems maintaining employment: If your employer learns of your conviction, you could get fired. Some employers don’t allow convicted criminals to work for them. For instance, if you work with children, and you get convicted, your employer may assume that you’re a threat to their safety.
- Difficulty finding a new job: Per the Office of Justice Programs, more than 85 percent of employers conduct background checks on applicants. A potential employer could disregard your application if they see a conviction on your record.
- Difficulty finding a place to live: If you want to rent or purchase a home, you could find it more difficult after having a criminal conviction on your record. A mortgage company could deny your loan application, or a landlord could deny your rental application.
- Losing the right to possess firearms: In Texas, you could lose the right to possess a firearm in certain situations.
- Problems getting admitted to schools: If you want to further your education after a criminal conviction, you could find it difficult to get accepted. Some college admissions programs are competitive. With a criminal conviction, a college admissions office could choose another candidate if they see that on your record.
- Issues retaining child custody. The Texas family court system acts in the best interest of children. If you’re in the middle of a heated child custody dispute, and you’re convicted of assault, you could have a weaker case. A judge may alter your custodial arrangement or limit your interactions to supervised visits.
Jay Cohen is an experience assault defense lawyer serving defendants in Richmond. If you want an attorney who thinks outside of the box when advocating for you, look no further. Blass Law is ready to hear your story now.
Click to contact our Richmond Lawyer today
Explore Your Defense Options With Blass Law
An assault charge isn’t the same as an assault conviction. You still have the opportunity to clear your name and combat the charges against you––and Blass Law is here to serve you. When you connect with us, a representative can explain your charges and potential punishments, so you understand what you face. Then, we can start defending your rights.
Contact us today for a case evaluation. During the consultation, you can expect to learn more about what it’s like to partner with us.