Attorney Jay Blass Cohen:
Jay Blass Cohen focuses his practice on Criminal Defense, DWI Defense and serious injury cases. Jay continually gets excellent results for his clients by staying a step ahead. He is certified as an ACS-CHAL Forensic Lawyer-Scientist and in forensic chromatography for both alcohol and drugs, a practitioner and instructor in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, and has completed training as a Drug Recognition Expert. Jay is committed to fighting to the end for his clients and ensuring the best possible outcome. That’s Jay — commitment, knowledge, education, protection, and the Fight. Keeping Innocent People Innocent® is his life’s work and mission.
Jay is a committed community servant and volunteer. He resides in Houston’s West University Place, where he has been a resident since 2015. He has served on the City’s Zoning Board of Adjustment since 2019, and is an active member and supporter of the community. Since 2009, Jay has served the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo as a dedicated volunteer, supporting its commitment to Texas youth and education through scholarships, grants and other programs. He has been a member of the organization’s World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest since 2012, and previously served on its Transportation Committee.
Jay was born and raised in Houston. He grew up in West Houston’s Memorial Villages, attending The Village School through middle school. He graduated from Episcopal High School in 2001 and in recent years has served in leadership roles on the school’s Alumni Council, including as Vice President in 2018. He graduated from Southern Methodist University in 2005 with a Bachelor’s of Business Administration, majoring in finance with a minor in psychology. While at SMU, Jay was a member of the Kappa Alpha fraternity and named by Who’s Who as one of the top 30 students at SMU for 2004 – 2005.
Jay went on to earn his law degree from South Texas College of Law in Downtown Houston, where he discovered his innate passion for defending people accused of crimes and upholding their constitutional rights. He chose to become a defense lawyer immediately after graduating — never serving as a prosecutor who fought against the clients he continues to serve today. We’ve always been on your side, and we’ll always fight to ensure your rights are protected.
Jay founded Blass Law in 2009, focusing its practice on Criminal Defense. The firm has since expanded to Houston Personal Injury Law, aggressively protecting the interests of those who have been injured in an accident, whether at work, in a motor vehicle, an 18-wheeler, or in any other type of accident. Blass Law serves clients in the greater Houston area and beyond, including Harris County, Fort Bend County, Montgomery County, Galveston County and surrounding areas.
Certifications and Memberships
- Earned the ACS Forensic Lawyer-Scientist Designation as recognized by the Chemistry and the Law Division of the ACS.
- Certified Practitioner in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Certified Instructor in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Certified as a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE)
- Trained in Forensic Chromatography
- Trained in Forensic Drug Analysis
- Trained in Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
- Member of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association
- Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Member of the Houston Bar Association
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Founding Member of the DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- Member of the National College for DUI Defense
- Practicing as DWI Lawyer in Houston