Being charged with a sex crime, such as sexual assault or abuse, is an extremely serious matter. At Blass Law, our sex crime lawyers provide clients with aggressive legal representation. We know how to navigate the criminal justice system and defend individuals accused of sex crimes.
If you are facing criminal penalties for an alleged sex offense, a Richmond criminal defense lawyer at Blass Law will protect your rights and fight to achieve the most favorable outcome on your behalf.
Sex Crime Charges Our Legal Team Defends
Sex crimes include a range of serious offenses that can result in severe penalties, including imprisonment, fines, compulsory sex offender registration, and long-lasting damage to one’s personal life and professional reputation.
We offer legal representation for a wide range of sex crime cases, including:
- Statutory rape: A conviction can result in 2 to 20 years of imprisonment and fines of up to $10,000.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault is a second-degree felony, with 2 to 20 years of imprisonment and fines up to $10,000. If there are aggravating factors, a first-degree felony and a sentence of up to 99 years is possible.
- Sexual abuse: First-degree felony, up to 99 years of imprisonment and $10,000 in fines.
- Indecent contact with a child: This is a second-degree felony with the potential for 2 to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000. Other factors can result in a first-degree penalty and a maximum of 99 years.
- Child pornography: Penalties vary depending on the circumstances and prior convictions, up to a first-degree felony.
- Solicitation of a minor: This is a third-degree offense of 2-10 years in prison and fines of $10,000. Second-degree felonies are increased to 2-20 years.
- Prostitution: Up to 2 years in jail and fines of $10,000.
- Indecent exposure: Up to 6 months in jail and $2,000 in fines.
Certain factors may affect your charges and penalties, so consult a sex crimes attorney at Blass Law to review your charges and their potential penalties. It’s crucial to remember that an accusation does not always mean a conviction, and regardless of the severity of the charges, each defendant deserves a strong and thorough defense.
For a legal consultation with a sex crime lawyer serving Richmond, call 713-225-1900
Potential Defenses for Sex Crimes Charges in Richmond, Texas
Depending on the details of your case, there are many strategies that Blass Law may use to build your defense:
- The sexual activity was consensual.
- You were of diminished mental capacity or completely incapacitated.
- There is not enough evidence to prove the alleged sexual crime took place.
- Evidence was mishandled or tampered with.
- You were mistakenly identified as the perpetrator of the crime.
- You have an alibi and were elsewhere when the alleged crime was committed.
- The accuser is experiencing a distorted or false memory.
- You were falsely accused, and the accuser was driven by revenge, jealousy, or other motives.
- An unreasonable search and seizure violated your Fourth Amendment rights.
- Law enforcement failed to properly inform you of your Miranda rights to remain silent and have an attorney.
Your defense is specific to your case and charges. Blass Law tailors your defense to address the accusations against you and fights for a favorable outcome.
Richmond Sex Crime Attorney 713-225-1900
Benefits of Working With a Richmond Sex Crime Attorney at Blass Law
Hiring a criminal defense attorney can be pivotal if you’ve been charged with a sex-related crime. A conviction can alter your life and lead to severe penalties, including significant prison time. Some key benefits of having robust legal representation include the following:
- A sex offense attorney at Blass Law will help you navigate the intricacies of the justice system, including the rules that govern evidence, sentencing guidelines, and potential defenses.
- We will conduct our own investigation, interview witnesses, and garner evidence to develop a solid defense strategy.
- We will assess the specific details of your case and the merits of the prosecution’s arguments and provide you with a realistic understanding of your circumstances and potential outcomes.
- We will protect your constitutional rights throughout the criminal justice process. This includes your right to remain silent, have legal representation, and be protected from evidence garnered from unlawful searches and seizures.
- We can engage in pre-trial negotiations with prosecutors to explore potential plea bargains or reduced charges and will work to minimize the potential consequences you are facing.
If your case goes to trial, we will present a persuasive defense, cross-examine witnesses, and challenge the prosecution’s evidence in court. We will employ our deep understanding of legal processes, court procedures, and other requirements unique to sex crime cases.
A sex offense conviction can have devastating effects far beyond legal penalties, such as impacting your reputation, employment opportunities, and personal relationships. We will work to minimize the impact on your life.
Click to contact our Richmond Lawyer today
Stages of Pre-Trial and Trial for Sex Crime Charges
The process generally consists of the following stages if you are formally charged with a crime. Contact Blass Law as soon as possible if you were charged with a sex crime so we can represent you through the entirety of the criminal justice system.
- Arraignment: This will be your first court appearance, in which charges are declared and a plea is entered.
- Discovery: Both sides collect and exchange evidence, such as a list of witnesses, their statements, and any other evidence applicable to the case.
- Pre-trial motions: Your attorney can file pre-trial motions to allow or exclude evidence, challenge the validity of your charges, or dismiss your charges.
- Plea bargaining: During this time, there will likely be negotiations between your defense attorney and the prosecution, which could result in reduced charges or sentences.
- Trial: If no plea deal is agreed upon, your case goes to trial. Both sides present their arguments and evidence in court.
- Verdict: A verdict is announced, and if you’re convicted, the court will determine a sentence.
- Appeal: If the defense contends that legal errors or other relevant issues during the trial impacted your outcome, they may appeal on your behalf.
Complete a Sex Crime Case Evaluation form now
Contact Blass Law to Fight Your Richmond Sex Crime Charge
Jay Blass Cohen is certified as an ACS-CHAL Forensic Lawyer-Scientist and in forensic chromatography for alcohol and drugs. He is committed to fighting to the end for his clients and tirelessly working toward the best possible outcome. Contact us today for a confidential, no-obligation consultation and get the legal representation you deserve.