If you have been injured in an accident, it is important you take appropriate action and speak with a Houston personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Without a personal injury attorney on your side, it can be difficult to navigate the laws pertaining to a personal injury claim. This is especially true if you are facing hospitalization, doctors’ visits, medication needs, and rehabilitation to get back on track.
Accidents can completely turn your life upside down. Our legal team understands the tricks of the insurance companies pertaining to personal injury claims. It is difficult enough to get better without worrying about insurance claims or holding the negligent party responsible for your losses. Let our personal injury lawyers in Houston, TX provide you with the peace of mind that your rights are being fought for. You could benefit from the services of the professional lawyers at Blass Law in Houston, TX.
Do You Need to Hire a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer After an Accident?
If you have suffered injuries or property damage due to someone else’s negligence, you do not need to hire a Houston personal injury attorney if you want the insurance company to walk all over you. If you want to maximize your recovery, hire Blass Law.
Personal injury claims are time-sensitive and can be complex, often involving lawyers from insurance companies representing the defendant.
Aggressive insurance company lawyers will try to show that their client was not negligent and may even try to argue that you are partially at fault. A personal injury lawsuit can be overwhelming, intimidating, and confusing. The personal injury attorneys at Blass Law have the experience and tenacity to fight against the insurance company’s lowball tactics and get the best possible result for your case.
For a legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Houston, call 713-225-1900
When to Seek Legal Help From a Personal Injury Lawyer
While you can take on any personal injury case alone, it is not always the wisest decision. There may be some cases that appear fairly straightforward with minimal damages, but even the simplest cases can quickly become complex and snowball out of control. That’s why it is best to hire an attorney at the beginning of your personal injury claim. That way, he or she can be aware of all the details and the tactics used to fight against you.
There are certain scenarios in which it is beneficial to have the guidance of legal counsel:
If You Filed a Claim and It was Denied
A Houston personal injury attorney can step in if your insurance claim has been denied. Insurance carriers tend to operate through intimidation. They assume you have no knowledge of the law or their insurance practices.
Having a legal professional who has dealt with the underhanded schemes of insurance companies will level the playing field and force them to deal in good faith. Further, you may be missing some key pieces of evidence to illustrate fault for your injuries. A lawyer on our team can perform a thorough investigation and fill in the blanks for you. We will hold the insurance company accountable.
Several Parties Are Involved
Simple and straightforward go out the window when multiple parties are involved in your accident. This may be in a multi-vehicle traffic accident, a truck accident which typically includes several potentially liable parties, or a complex job structure where there are employees, contractors, and subcontractors involved.
Either way, an experienced accident injury lawyer can untangle the web of individuals and entities to determine who caused your accident, who is liable, and how best to pursue compensation from them.
You Were Offered a Settlement
Oftentimes, insurance companies throw out lowball offers in hopes of you accepting it and moving on. Their primary goal is closing your claim as quickly as possible with the least amount of expense. These offers typically undervalue your claim by a high margin. If you don’t know better, you might accept it and then sign away your right to pursue more compensation later. The personal injury lawyers serving Houston at our firm will calculate the accurate amount of your damages, assess every settlement offer, and demand what you deserve.
You Are Claiming Extensive Damages
The more damages you are claiming, the harder the insurance company will fight back. They and their attorneys will do everything in their power to hold on to as much money as they can. This includes alleging that some of your injuries were pre-existing. When they do this, they are attempting to mitigate your injuries, asserting that they owed you no duty of care to begin with, and shifting the blame to you in whole or in part. Our legal team will combat their defense by gathering pertinent evidence and building a solid case that proves negligence.
You deserve to receive the maximum compensation for your losses. Our law firm will work hard to make that happen.
Houston Personal Injury Attorney 713-225-1900
What Kind of Cases do Blass Law Personal Injuty Lawyers Handle in Houston, TX?
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
- Rideshare Accident Lawyer
- Premises Liability (Slip & Fall) Lawyer
- Maritime and Admiralty Accident Lawyer
What Is Comparative Negligence Or the “Shared Fault” Rule?
Courts determine liability under a rule often referred to as proportionate responsibility or the shared fault rule. This means that if your accident involved the negligence of more than one person, each person will be liable for a portion of the damages commensurate with their proportion of fault.
Under the shared fault rule, you can recover damages even if the court finds you partially responsible for your own injuries. If, for instance, you suffered injuries from a fall on a slippery floor in an office while you were texting, the court may find that you were partially at fault for not giving your full attention to walking.
If the court finds that your portion of responsibility is less than 50 percent, you may still be able to recover damages. However, if your responsibility is judged to be 51 percent or more, you cannot receive compensation for your injuries.
Complete a Personal Injury Case Evaluation form now
The Most Common Types of Injuryies in Texas Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Broken bones
- Skin puncture
- Emotional stress
- Slipped/herniated disc
- Extended illness, needless suffering, or wrongful death due to medical malpractice
- Repetitive motion injury
- Muscle stress/sprain
- Birth injury
- Partial or total disability
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Bodily deformity
- Permanent scars
Common Types of Recovery in Houston Personal Injury Lawsuits
The purpose of a personal injury lawsuit is to establish a fair amount of compensation for out-of-pocket costs as well as possible future trauma and emotional suffering. Types of damages that Blass Law may seek to recover for you include:
- Economic Damages: These are financial losses suffered due to your injury. They include your medical bills, hospital bills, ambulance fees, prescription medication, and rehabilitation expenses, as well as compensation for lost wages and any property damages.
- Non-Economic Damages: These are the intangible factors that are harder to determine a specific dollar amount for. This amount is often a matter of judgment and may include such factors as your pain and suffering, the mental anguish suffered by you and your family, loss of companionship, and compensation for the emotional trauma of dealing with any permanent or life-altering scarring and disfigurement.
- Exemplary Damages: In Texas, a personal injury lawsuit may also ask for exemplary, or punitive damages. These are meant as a kind of fine and are designed to serve as punishment for the at-fault party for their negligent or reckless conduct.
What Should I Do If I Injured in an Accident – A 5 Step Guide
The first step in any personal injury accident is always to take care of your own injuries as soon as possible. Go to the hospital or emergency room, if needed, or consult your personal physician. Once your physical state has been properly assessed by a medical professional, you can consider the possibility of filing a personal injury lawsuit. Here are the steps which may be involved:
- Documentation: As soon as reasonably possible, document everything you can about the incident. Take numerous photos from every possible angle and write down your recollection of the details surrounding the accident. Gather contact information from any witnesses.
- Save Everything: Set up a special file regarding the incident and keep everything related to it. Keep copies of any police or incident reports. Write down any lost time from work and keep your appropriate pay stubs. Include any paperwork from workers’ compensation or disability payments. Keep a calendar of all doctor and medical appointments and note all out-of-pocket expenses. Jot down any impressions of how you feel or how your injuries are affecting your family.
- Insurance Claims: You may file a claim or be contacted by the insurance company of the party who injured you. Do not accept any offers until you have spoken to a Houston personal injury attorney. The insurance companies have experts working for them. It helps to have a lawyer working for you giving legal advice to ensure you are properly compensated. Ask the insurance company to provide any details in writing so you can review them with your lawyer.
- Consultation: Contact Blass Law for a consultation to determine whether your case is worth pursuing in court. Bring along any paperwork you have accumulated to date. Our legal team of lawyers will advise you about whether it is best to try to negotiate with the insurance company for a larger settlement or if your case merits going to trial.
- Personal Injury Trial: If we do not come up with an equitable settlement with the insurance company, we will file a claim through the legal system in Texas. In this case, we file a lawsuit, present documentation and testimony on your behalf in a court of law. We will show that the defendant had a duty to act and neglected that duty and argue against the case presented by the defendant. The jury or judge of the court will settle the money issues and set a compensation amount.
Personal Injury Lawsuit Statute of Limitations in Texas
Personal injury cases in Houston, Texas are judged by the Civil Practice and Remedies Code and are further governed by a “shared fault rule,” which means that you can seek recovery even if you are partially at fault for the accident.
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit is generally two years from the date of the incident. During this period, our legal team will attempt to seek a pre-lawsuit settlement with the insurance company or, if needed, we will file the proper lawsuit documents on your behalf.
Contact a Personal Lawyer in Houston, TX for a Confidential Case Evaluation
If you or a loved one have sustained injuries or property damage as the result of someone else’s negligence, contact a personal injury attorney for legal advice. The personal injury attorneys at Blass Law can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you get fair compensation for your damages.
The insurance companies do not work with your best interests in mind. It can benefit you to have a personal injury law firm on your side. Call (713) 225-1900 to speak to a Houston personal injury lawyer or request a consultation online.