If you or a family member were hit by a drunk driver in Houston, you need to contact the expert drunk driving accident attorneys at Blass Law. Drunk driving accident victims face numerous expenses, including hospitalization, doctors’ visits, medication, and rehabilitation just to get back on the road. Your car may be totaled, you may not be able to work, and your family could suffer financial loss. You could suffer permanent injury, emotional pain and ongoing suffering.
It is difficult enough to get better without worrying about insurance claims or trying to hold the drunken driver responsible for your losses. That’s when you need the services of a professional drunk driving accident lawyer – you need Blass Law in Houston. Call (713) 225-1900 or request a case evaluation online.
Drunk Driving Accident Liability in Texas
Texas takes driving while intoxicated seriously. Drivers who cause accidents while under the influence of drugs or alcohol may face criminal charges, but criminal charges will not get compensation for the victims of a drunk driving accident. Like most auto collisions, DUI accident victims can sue the driver, the driver’s insurance company, and in some cases, even the business that served the driver alcohol. In order to ensure you get compensated for all of your expenses and suffering, you need to contact an experienced and professional drunk driver accident lawyer who will get the responsible parties to pay for your damages.
- Driving While Intoxicated: Texas prohibits motorists from operating a motor vehicle or boat with a blood alcohol concentration of .08% or more, or while intoxicated by drugs. Texas also has “zero tolerance” laws making it illegal for drivers under 21 to get behind the wheel with any detectable amount of alcohol in their system.
- Dram Shop Liability: There is usually another party involved that over-served a visibly intoxicated patron, guest or minor, and did not prevent that person from operating a motor vehicle. This might be a bar, restaurant or private individual. Texas allows the injured victim to assess liability on these parties through its Dram Shop Liability laws.
- Road Hazards: In some instances, road hazards may contribute to the severity of the accident. In these rare cases, the injured party may be able to hold the state of Texas partially liable for their injuries.
Common Drunk Driving Accident Injuries in Texas
Although there are many types of injuries which may occur in a Texas drunk driving accident lawsuit, the most common drunk driving accident injuries include:
- Broken bone
- Cuts and scars
- Emotional duress
- Slipped/herniated disc
- Wrongful death
- Soft tissue damage
- Partial/total disability
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Bodily deformity
Common Types of Recovery in Houston Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuits
The purpose of a drunk driving lawsuit in Texas is to establish a fair amount of compensation for any actual out-of-pocket costs you incur, as well as future expenses, lost wages, trauma, and emotional suffering. The types of damages Blass Law may seek to recover on your behalf include:
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses include visits to the doctor, ambulance rides, prescription drugs, medical equipment and physical therapy. If you require ongoing care for the injuries you sustained in a drunk driving accident, you can sue for the amount you can expect to pay for treatment.
- Lost Wages: If you had to miss work after you were hit by a drunk driver, you can recover the amount you would have made and may be able to sue for any adverse impact your absence had on you job such as being fired, passed over for promotion, or having your hours cut.
- Pain and suffering: Being hit by a drunk driver is traumatic and you may find that you have emotional and mental consequences as a result of the drunk driving accident. You may be able to recover financial damages for the emotional anguish suffered by you and your family, loss of consortium, and compensation for having to deal with the trauma of living with permanent scarring or disfigurement.
- Exemplary or Punitive Damages: We may also ask for exemplary damages on your behalf. These damages serve as punishment of the at-fault party for their negligent or reckless conduct in driving while intoxicated.
What Should I do if I Get Hit by a Drunk Driver?
The first priority is to take care of your physical injuries as soon as possible. Go to the hospital or emergency room or consult your personal physician. After your medical injuries have been properly treated, you can consider the possibility of asking us to file a lawsuit against the drunk driver.
8 Steps to Take if You Were Hit by a Drunk Driver
- Call the Police: When a drunk driver hits you, you need to act fast for your safety and the safety of other motorists. Call 911 and let them know that an accident with a suspected drunk driver has occurred.
- Check on the Other Parties: If you are able, check on any other accident victims and the suspected drunk driver. Try not to engage the at-fault party other than to ascertain if emergency medical treatment is necessary.
- Gather Complete Documentation: Take photos from every possible angle. Write down your recollection of accident details, and the actions of the drunk driver. Obtain contact information from any witnesses.
- Take Care of Your Injuries: Go to the hospital or emergency room or consult your personal physician. After your immediate medical injuries have been properly treated, you should contact us so we can determine the best way to handle your case.
- Set Up an Accident File: Keep copies of any police reports. Document all lost time from work and keep pay stubs, as well as paperwork from workers’ compensation and disability. Keep records of all doctor and medical appointments, and document your out-of-pocket expenses. Keep reminders of how you feel, and how your injuries are affecting your family.
- Be Careful of Insurance Offers: You may be contacted by the insurance company of the drunken driver, but do not accept any agreements until you have obtained professional legal guidance. Request that any offers be made in writing so you can review them with your legal consultant.
- Find Legal Representation: Contact the drunk driving accident lawyers at Blass Law for a free consultation to determine the best plan to ensure you recover what you are owed. Bring any paperwork you have so our drunk driver accident lawyer in Houston can advise you as to whether it is best to negotiate.
- Drunk Driving Trial: If we file a claim through the legal system in Texas, we will present complete documentation and testimony on your behalf, show that the drunken driver acted negligently in operating a motor vehicle, assess damages against any other involved parties under dram shop liability, and argue against the case presented by the defendant. The court will then assess liability and set monetary damages.
Contact a DWI Accident Lawyer
If a drunk driver hit you or a family member, you should contact an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer as soon as you can. The expert drunk driving accident attorneys at Blass Law can offer you a confidential case evaluation and get you the compensation you need to put your life back together. Insurance company attorneys will not look out for your interests, they only want to save their employers’ money. Call on a DUI accident lawyer you can trust. Call Blass Law at (713) 225-1900 or request a confidential case evaluation online.