A drug charge conviction in Harris County can result in losing your freedom, paying a heavy fine, and having a drug crime conviction on your record. Even after you serve your sentence and pay your fines, the conviction could hamper your efforts to get financial aid for college or secure gainful employment. That’s why choosing a Harris County drug charge defense lawyer is so important.
The charges against you are only allegations unless a jury finds you guilty, and you deserve an attorney who is committed to giving you the best chance at a positive outcome. Our Harris County criminal defense lawyer at Blass Law proudly stands up for the rights of the accused. We have helped many defendants win drug possession cases before, and we fight for all our clients. Protecting your freedom and reputation is our top priority.
How a Harris County Drug Charge Lawyer Can Help You
The first and perhaps most important way a Harris County drug crimes attorney can help you is by ensuring law enforcement and the prosecution respect your rights at every stage of the criminal justice process. This starts with advocating for the most favorable pre-trial release terms possible.
You are presumed innocent while your case is going on, and your criminal defense attorney will fight to ensure the system treats you accordingly.
Other examples of how a drug crime attorney from our law firm can help you while facing drug charges include:
- Individual Attention to Your Case: Your drug charge defense lawyer will meet with you to discuss your case and explain your situation. They will also craft a personalized defense strategy that refutes the charges you face.
- Specialized Training in Drug Cases: Attorney Jay Blass Cohen is certified as a drug recognition expert and has extensive knowledge of forensic drug analysis. This could prove valuable in a drug case.
- Dedication to Your Cause: Our Harris County drug lawyer understands the seriousness of your situation. He will use the full measure of his legal ability to maximize the possibility of a positive resolution in your case.
- A History of Winning: Track records matter when choosing an attorney. Our team has proven the ability to win drug cases of all kinds for our clients.
For a legal consultation with a drug charge defense lawyer serving Harris County, call 713-225-1900
Potential Defenses in Harris County Drug Cases
Many people believe there is no viable defense after a drug arrest and that their best option is pleading guilty. The truth is there are numerous effective legal defenses a drug crimes lawyer can raise on your behalf.
Examples of defenses we have mounted in Harris County drug crimes cases include:
- Confidential informants – Police often use undercover officers or informants in drug cases. If we can demonstrate a need for the identity of the informant, the state will be required to provide their identity. Frequently, the cops don’t want to give up their informant, and we may be able to get the charges dismissed.
- Procedural Errors – Police and prosecutors must follow specific procedures to apply for warrants and make drug arrests. Your drug attorney will review this paperwork very thoroughly. If we identify mistakes, the evidence or the entire case may be dismissed.
- Intent – If you were arrested on drug possession charges simply because you were in the same location where drugs were found, we may be able to persuade the jury that you did not own the drugs in question and had no intent to use them. This may lead to an acquittal.
Your Harris County Drug Offenses Attorney Can Explore Conviction Alternatives
Whenever we handle a drug crimes case, our primary goal is an acquittal for our client. If that’s impossible, we attack the prosecution’s case to try to build enough uncertainty about the outcome that the prosecutor may be willing to negotiate a plea deal for less-serious charges.
This is why we pore over prosecution cases with exacting attention to detail. It only takes one loose end, such as a non-credible witness or improper procedure, to create an opening that we can use to explore conviction alternatives. However, you can rest assured that if we don’t believe the proposed deal is fair, your Harris County drug crimes lawyer will defend you to the fullest of their ability in your drug case.
Harris County Drug Charge Defense Attorney 713-225-1900
What Are the Potential Penalties in Drug Cases?
Per Texas Health and Safety Code § 481, drug crimes in Texas carry various penalties. These penalties range from class B Misdemeanors punishable by up to six months in jail and/or a fine up to $2,000 for simple possession to life in prison and $250,000 fines for more serious crimes like manufacture or possession of large quantities of illegal drugs with intent to distribute.
The severity of the sentence in your case depends on several factors, including:
- Your previous criminal history (if any)
- The type of drug you are charged with possessing
- The quantity of drug you are charged with possessing
- Your intent (e.g., personal use or distribution)
Other factors, such as whether authorities allege you are part of a criminal organization, were in possession of a gun, or were caught in a designated “drug-free” area, can result in additional prison time. No matter the circumstances, your criminal charge defense lawyer will fight to get you the most favorable outcome possible.
What Types of Cases Can a Drug Crime Lawyer Fight for You?
Whether you face a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge or are accused of distributing large quantities of any drug, we will fight for your good name with the same intensity. Examples of the cases we have fought for our clients include:
- Misdemeanor possession of marijuana
- Felony possession of “hard drugs” (e.g., cocaine, heroin, or LSD)
- Unauthorized possession of prescription drugs
- Possession with intent to distribute
- Manufacturing or transporting of narcotics
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
Click to contact our Harris County Lawyer today
Get Help from a Harris County Drug Charge Defense Attorney Today
We are not here to judge you. We are here to fight for your freedom and personal reputation. No matter what charge you face, you deserve to have a criminal defense attorney who will fight hard for your rights.
You have options besides a guilty plea if you face drug charges in Harris County. Reach out to us for a confidential consultation before you make a decision that affects the rest of your life. Our Harris County drug charge defense lawyer at Blass Law is ready, willing, and able to fight for your rights. All you must do is make the call, and we’ll be there for you.