If you were arrested in Texas on drug trafficking charges, you have many options when it comes to beating a drug trafficking charge. A criminal defense lawyer from our firm can examine your case to look for possible defenses.
For example, you may have a solid alibi, or the police may have arrested you without cause. A criminal defense lawyer with our firm may be able to help you fight for your freedom.
What Is a Drug Trafficking Charge?
The Texas Controlled Substances Actprohibits drug trafficking, which is the distribution or delivering of illicit drugs. As it is a more serious charge than simply possessing illicit drugs, drug trafficking in Texas is a felony crime. If you are convicted of drug trafficking, you could face anywhere from months to years in prison as well as tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
Texas categorizes drugs, also known as controlled substances, into eight penalty groups. It classifies marijuana separately from other drugs.
In general, penalties increase with the quantity of the drug in possession and how addictive the drug is. Trafficking in more addictive drugs and greater quantities of the drug results in stiffer penalties.
For a legal consultation, call 713-225-1900
How Can a Lawyer from Our Firm Help with Your Drug Trafficking Case?
Just because you were caught possessing drugs does not mean that you will go to prison for drug trafficking. Our lawyer will evaluate your case and look for ways to build a strong defense for you. Here are some ways we can help:
Offer Personal Attention
We will provide you with the one-on-one service you deserve during this stressful time. Our lawyer will answer all your questions, listen to your concerns, and keep you updated on the progress of your case.
Advise You After Your Arrest
Remember, you have the right to remain silent and never have to answer any questions the police ask. By refusing to respond, you avoid giving the police information that they can use against you. Instead, request a lawyer from our firm who can advise you on how to proceed.
Prevent the Prosecution from Filing Charges
We can speak with the prosecutor or judge to persuade him or her from filing charges. If you call early enough, we may be able to prevent charges from being filed against you after your arrest.
Gather and Analyze Evidence
Evidence is often time-sensitive. Our lawyer will quickly gather evidence that shows you are not guilty. We approach each case individually, but we may have the alleged drugs tested, interview people who can provide you with an alibi, and more.
Investigate Your Arrest
In some cases, the circumstances surrounding your arrest make it invalid. For example, if the police did not have probable cause to search you or your property in the first place, any evidence they found may be inadmissible.
Build Your Case
After investigating your arrest and gathering evidence related to your case, we will build a strong defense. Here are some potential defenses against a drug trafficking charge:
- Lack of probable cause:the police can only search you or your property if they have a reason to believe that a crime was committed by you
- Unlawful search and seizure:the police can only search and seize you and your property if they have a warrant or probable cause
- Entrapment:you would never have committed the crime without the prompting of the police; for example, an undercover agent encouraged you
- Alibi: you have evidence that you were somewhere else when the crime was committed
- False reports: someone made false statements about you to the police
- Failure to maintain a chain of custody for the evidence against you: the police mishandled the evidence against you
- Failure to read you your Miranda rights: if the police did not read you your Miranda rights when you were arrested, your Constitutional rights were violated
- Mistaken identity: the police have confused you for someone else
Negotiate a Plea Bargain
We will negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecution that minimizes the severity of your sentence. For example, you may agree to serve a shorter prison sentence or probation through the Texas Department of Criminal Justiceinstead of a prison sentence in exchange for pleading guilty.
Defend You in Court
If you do not accept the plea bargain, your case will go to trial, and we will defend you in court.
Our Case Results
While we can never guarantee an outcome in a drug trafficking case, we can promise to work hard in your defense. Here are some examples of case resultsfor clients we have successfully defended:
- Dismissed:charges that our client was in possession of greater than 400 grams of cocaine with intent to deliver
- Dismissed midway through the trial:charges that our client was driving while intoxicated for the second time and was in possession of a controlled substance
- Dismissed:felony charges for a third offense of driving while intoxicated
Blass Law Is Ready to Defend You Against Drug Trafficking Charges
Drug trafficking charges can derail your future, but they don’t have to. Our lawyer will work hard to beat your drug trafficking charge and get you the best possible outcome.
If you are facing a drug trafficking charge and need legal assistance, call Blass Law today at (713) 225-1900. The quicker you call us, the quicker we can get started on your case.