615 pedestrians died in traffic accidents in Texas in 2017, per the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), which shows the potential harm that a pedestrian accident can cause a victim. Injuries that occur from pedestrian accidents can be very serious. Vehicle-on-pedestrian collisions contribute significantly to the injuries sustained by the population of Texas and those visiting the state. If you or a loved one was injured, or your loved one was killed, because of a pedestrian accident, you should pursue compensation for your losses. Call Blass Law today at (713) 225-1900 to discuss how a Texas City pedestrian accident lawyer will work hard to get you the best possible outcome.
Pedestrian Accidents Put Texans at Serious Risk
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram noted in 2019 that Texas ranks behind only seven other states in terms of the danger posed to pedestrians by traffic accidents, and that state and local projections indicate that the problem will likely get worse in the near future.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that:
- Pedestrian deaths in the United States in 2018 reached the highest total since 1990
- On average, a pedestrian died every 88 minutes in 2017 because of pedestrian accidents
- There were 6,283 pedestrian deaths in the U.S. in 2018
A pedestrian may generally have very few ways to get away from an oncoming vehicle, which could account for the significant number of deaths attributable to pedestrian accidents. Some places where pedestrians in Texas may be at a high risk of pedestrian accidents include:
- In urban areas where vehicles and pedestrians are in close proximity
- At intersections
- In areas where bicyclists and pedestrians may share the walkway or roadway
- In areas where traffic signals are not functional, or are ambiguous in the instructions that they provide motorists or pedestrians
Motorists should operate their vehicles with caution whenever pedestrians are present or could be present. Failing to do so may cause a pedestrian accident resulting in injury or death.
For a legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Texas City, call 713-225-1900
Motorist Behaviors That May Cause Pedestrian Accidents
The General Services Administration (GSA) lists the six most dangerous driving behaviors—acts which could plausibly result in a pedestrian accident. These behaviors include:
- Driving at improper speed, which includes driving both above and below the posted speed limit
- Failing to observe the right-of-way in any given traffic interaction, which could be particularly dangerous if a pedestrian has the right of way
- Passing another vehicle in an improper or illegal fashion, which could cause a collision with a pedestrian who a driver does not see before passing
- Making an improper turn, which may involve crossing a walkway where pedestrians are present
- Crossing into oncoming traffic for any reason
When drivers do not act with caution or basic care, pedestrians may be among those who can pay the price. The costs of a pedestrian accident, in terms of injury and total losses, may be even greater than a collision with another vehicle, as the human body is generally far more fragile than the frame of a motor vehicle.
If you or a loved one was injured in a pedestrian accident, then our Texas City pedestrian accident lawyer will pursue compensation for you. Call Blass Law today at (713) 225-1900 for more details about how our personal injury lawyer will work for you after a pedestrian accident.
Texas City Pedestrian Accident Attorney 713-225-1900
Serious Injuries Could Call for Legal Action
Some of the factors that may affect the seriousness of a pedestrian accident are:
- How fast a vehicle is traveling at the time that it strikes a pedestrian
- The position that a pedestrian is in at the time of impact
- Whether a pedestrian has a chance to see the oncoming vehicle, and has an opportunity to brace or make a physical maneuver in anticipation of getting plowed over
- The size and weight of the vehicle that strikes a pedestrian
- The age and overall health of the pedestrian who is struck
Regardless of these factors, it is likely that a collision between a person and a vehicle will produce serious injuries. Some of the injury types that may result from a pedestrian accident are:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI), which the Mayo Clinic explains may come from a “jolt” to your body or head—the possible result of a violent collision between a vehicle and a person
- Spinal cord injury, which may result in lifelong conditions such as paralysis or chronic pain
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding, which may prove to be an insidious and fatal condition if you do not become immediately aware of it
- Severe burns
- Road rash
Injuries from a pedestrian accident may be severe or even fatal. The victim of such injuries may require:
- Emergency care
- A period of hospitalization
- Significant rehabilitation
- Care for the remainder of their lives
- Treatment, such as medication and therapy, to deal with chronic symptoms of accident-related injuries
Dealing with the health outcomes of a pedestrian accident may be traumatic and costly. Such physical trauma may be one of the reasons why you choose to pursue a lawsuit against parties responsible for your accident.
A Texas City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Will Fight for Your Rights
Whether you are bringing a lawsuit on behalf of yourself or a loved one, a lawyer may be able to assist you. Some legal responsibilities that a personal injury lawyer may fulfill include:
- Filing your lawsuit in the legal venue that is most beneficial to the plaintiff
- Investigating and compiling evidence so that it helps your case to obtain maximum compensation
- Hiring experts and interviewing eyewitnesses to provide testimony on your behalf
- Defending your rights throughout the legal process
- Calculating your losses
- Negotiating for a settlement
- Trying the case to a jury if the other side won’t agree to a fair settlement
Your pedestrian accident lawyer in Texas City may be able to obtain compensation for:
- Your medical costs
- Your lost income
- Any permanent disability you or your loved one developed because of your pedestrian accident
- Your pain and suffering
- Any other accident-caused losses
Complete a Pedestrian Accidents Case Evaluation form now
Call Blass Law Today
The team at Blass Law will provide the legal and personal care that you need in the wake of a traumatic pedestrian accident. Having a Texas City pedestrian accident lawyer on your side will be a significant weight off of your shoulders.
Call Blass Law today at (713) 225-1900 for more details about how we will work hard to get you the best possible legal outcome.