- You have to give your name and date of birth. You can hand them your ID or tell them. This one isn’t negotiable. You can be arrested for not providing your name and date of birth.
- Don’t admit to anything. If you have a kilo in the car, they aren’t going to be more lenient if you confess.
- Example: Do you have anything illegal in the car? Nope.
- Why do I smell weed? I don’t know.
- Don’t consent to a search. Make the cops earn that paycheck! If the police already have probable cause or a warrant to search your car, house or other container, they’re going to search. If they ask, it’s because they can’t do it otherwise.
- Shut your mouth. No one likes word vomit 🤮— especially your defense lawyer. If the cops believe you did something wrong, you aren’t going to talk your way out of it. Let me explain it to the jury.
- Be polite, not memorable. Cops have guns. If you’ve ever watched the news, you know they shoot people. Shut up, don’t get shot.
What to say when you encounter the police