A driving while intoxicated (DWI) conviction can change your life forever. You might face years of jail time and thousands of dollars in fines. It can also upend your career, social life, and future.
Don’t fight this charge on your own. Blass Law can fight your DWI charge and work toward a dismissal or acquittal. It doesn’t matter whether this is your first, second, third or fifth DWI; we’re ready to start championing your rights today. Our DWI lawyer in La Porte offers confidential case reviews.
We Take on DWI, DUI, and Other Alcohol-Related Cases
Blass Law handles many drunk driving-related charges in La Porte. Even if you haven’t been charged with a crime yet, it’s a good idea to consider legal counsel now.
Charges we fight include:
- DWI with an open container
- Intoxication assault
- Intoxication manslaughter
La Porte is right on Galveston Bay, making it a hotspot for recreational boating. It’s illegal to operate a boat while intoxicated. As such, we also help Texans with their boating while intoxicated (BWI) charges.
Why Would I Be Charged with a DWI?
Texas drunk driving laws are strict. You could face a DWI arrest after a traffic stop or accident if:
- The police conducted blood alcohol content (BAC) testing, and your blood tested at .08 percent or above.
- The police believed your behaviors showed signs of intoxication, but you refused testing.
- The police conducted field sobriety tests (like walking a line) and decided you were intoxicated.
Blass Law will evaluate the circumstances of your arrest to determine whether it was conducted fairly. If the arresting officer violated your rights or didn’t follow appropriate protocol, we can move for a dismissal.
For a legal consultation with a dwi lawyer serving La Porte, call 713-225-1900
What Makes Blass Law Different Than Other Criminal Defense Firms?
Blass Law, led by career Houston criminal defense attorney Jay Cohen, works for families like yours every day. Attorney Cohen has never worked for the prosecutor’s office. Instead, he’s dedicated to protecting accused people.
Attorney Cohen isn’t just a lawyer; he’s:
- A certified practitioner and instructor in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Trained in forensic chromatology, forensic drug analysis, and driving under the influence of drugs
- A certified drug recognition expert
At Blass Law, we can defend your reputation and protect your future. We understand what it takes to get a favorable outcome.
We offer strategic and aggressive representation for our clients, protecting their rights, and pursuing a positive outcome in court. All of our case evaluations are confidential, and we have the answers you’re looking for.
La Porte DWI Attorney 713-225-1900
We’ve Secured “Not Guilty” Verdicts for Many DWI Defendants Before
Here are some outcomes we’ve secured for previous DWI defendants:
- Law enforcement found our client asleep in their car. A drug test revealed they were on several controlled substances. We secured a “not guilty” verdict in Harris County court.
- Law enforcement found our client asleep in the middle of moving traffic. They tested well above the legal limit and failed all field sobriety tests. We tried the case in court and secured a “not guilty” verdict.
- Our client was charged with a third DWI. After a hearing on our motion to suppress certain pieces of evidence, the court dismissed the case.
Being charged with a crime does not automatically make you guilty. This makes choosing effective legal counsel crucial. Having the best DWI lawyer in La Porte on your side could mean the difference between walking free or spending months in jail.
Click to contact our La Porte Lawyers today
Blass Law Will Advocate for Your Future and Well-Being
At Blass Law, we will do everything possible to protect your rights and pursue a favorable outcome. We approach each case strategically, planning a comprehensive defense. Depending on your case, a favorable outcome may include:
- Convincing the prosecutors not to file charges
- Getting your charges dropped or reduced
- Negotiating a plea deal for a lesser charge and lighter sentence
- Securing a “not guilty” verdict at trial
We will fight to avoid a DWI conviction. However, in some cases, a probated sentence may be a viable alternative to other serious penalties. Called “community supervision,” probation requires you to follow strict rules for a certain period instead of going to jail.
Although probation rules are strict, they generally don’t stop you from being with your family, going to work, and hanging out with your friends. If a “not guilty” verdict doesn’t appear to be possible, we’ll fight for probation.
A DWI lawyer in La Porte will seek a just resolution, whether it’s a lighter sentence or getting your charges dropped entirely.
Complete a DWI Case Evaluation form now
Texas Has Stiff Penalties for DWI Convictions
If you’re convicted of a DWI for the first time, you may face:
- Up to $2,000 in fines
- Up to 180 days in county jail
A second-offense conviction could result in:
- Up to $4,000 in fines
- A month to a year in county jail
A Third Offense and Beyond
A third or subsequent conviction could result in felony-level charges.
This could include:
- Up to $10,000 in fines
- Two to 10 years in state prison
Enhanced Charges Can Lead to Enhanced Penalties
In addition to facing a DWI charge, you may face additional charges based on your arrest. For instance, if you were driving under the influence with a child passenger, you could face a child endangerment charge in addition to a DWI charge.
You could be charged with additional crimes if:
- You had an open container of alcohol in your vehicle.
- You had a BAC of .15 percent or higher.
- You were involved in an accident that resulted in injuries and/or fatalities.
- You have been convicted of a DWI before.
- You have been convicted of multiple felonies before.
- You are a habitual offender according to the laws of the State of Texas.
Our Former Clients Highly Recommend Blass Law
We’ve secured positive outcomes for many previous clients – and we’re not kidding. Some of our previous clients have shared:
- “Jay is the best lawyer in Texas. You can count on him… I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone charged with a crime. I will be forever grateful.” – Kelly W.
- “Mr. Cohen was recommended to me by another attorney for my DUI case who had nothing but great things to say about him… Excellent representation! NOT GUILTY! He will always be a brother to me.” – Charles G.
- “Huge thanks to Jay and his firm! Highly recommend him if you find yourself needing legal representation… Without a doubt, I would not hesitate to hire him again. If you find yourself needing DWI representation like I did, do not hesitate giving him a call.” – Jason R.
Talk to Our DWI Team in La Porte About Your Criminal Case
At Blass Law, we offer confidential case evaluations. During our conversation, we can discuss your criminal record, the circumstances of your arrest, and your goals.
To explore working with our DWI team, dial (713) 225-1900.